Kat Fajardo (they/she) is a Honduran Colombian award-winning cartoonist and illustrator from the lively and magical place of Loisaida, New York City.
They are the creator of Miss Quinces, which was a National Indie Bestseller, received a Pura Belpre Honor for illustration, two starred reviews, and was selected as a summer reading pick by Entertainment Weekly, Publishers Weekly, The Horn Book, and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. It was also added to the The Spirit of Texas (SPOT) Reading Program by the Texas Library Association. It was the first Graphix title to be simultaneously published in English and Spanish (as Srta. Quinces).
They are a graduate of the School of Visual Arts, and their work has been recognized by online publications such as Remezcla, El Hispanic News, School Library Journal, Huffington Post Latino Voices, and more. Kat loves to create playful and colorful work about self-acceptance and Latine culture.
When they aren’t making comics, you might find them collecting small junk for scrapbooking, listening to spooky podcasts, or chasing after their sock-stealing pups, Mac and Roni. Kat lives in Austin, Texas. Visit them online at katfajardo.com.
- MISS QUINCES starred review on The Horn Book (2022)
- MISS QUINCES starred review on School Journal Library (2022)
- MISS QUINCES review on Publisher's Weekly (2022)
- MISS QUINCES on Daytime TV (2022)
- MISS QUINCES on Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's summer reading list (2022)
- MISS QUINCES on Entertainment Weekly's summer reading list (2022)
- MISS QUINCES interview for June Kids' Club Pick (2022)
- MISS QUINCES interview for Books of Wonder (2022)
- MISS QUINCES announcement on Publisher's Weekly (2019)
- THE ISLE OF THE LOST GN announced on Publisher's Weekly (2018)
Awards + Grants
- Pura Belpre Honor for Illustration 2023
- CXC Emerging Talent Award 2017
- MICExpo mini-grant 2016
- Eisner Award 2019 + 2020
- Ignatz nominated 2018